Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Top 10's

My time in Fiji almost halfway over and I'm experiencing mixed emotions. I'm having a blast, but really suffering from some withdrawal over some comforts of my life back in Iowa. Some of you may be confused, so let me get you up to speed. I've switched from a two-year program to a one-year one and also changed my course of study from Social Policy to Education, hence why I'm almost half-way done already. There are a number of reasons behind my decisions, but essentially the change in field of study allowed me to complete my coursework in a year (with a thesis following) instead of two, so I decided to change from the Multi-Year Scholarship to the Academic Year one. Financially, the cost of living here for two years would have greatly exceeded my scholarship funds as well, so I'm glad I made the switch. All this happened only a couple weeks after arriving, but I realized I forgot to mention it any of my entries. So yeah, back to the mix of emotions. I've been having an awesome time here but I'm really starting to miss things from home. I think my thoughts would be best illustrated in a Top 10 list of things I miss the most. Here goes...

Top 10 Things Mike Misses From Home...

10. Postal (Zip) Codes - Every time I write my address down I feel like I'm missing something. Never thought I'd miss that!

9. "Yes" Meaning "Yes" - This is hard to explain, but sometimes when Fijians say "Yes" they really mean "No." They will shake their heads wildly up and down as if they understand you, but they really have no idea what you are saying and/or simply want you to go away thinking they agree with you. This "No-Yes" also comes in the form of promises that will simply never be kept - Ex. "So, you'll be back tomorrow to fix it?" "Yes, yes, yes." or "Io, io, io." Ahhhh...No, no, no... Really they mean "Yes... I'll be back whenever I get around to it and maybe never!"

8. Laundry Washer and Dryer - Enough said!

7. Free Sauce - At most restaurants here you have to pay extra for sauces like ketchup or even salad dressing (it doesn't come with the salad). Being a person who believes firmly that most foods are simply a means by which we consume delicious sauces, this really ticks me off! I miss the freedom of gluttony of American society!

6. Quiet Nights - I've adjusted to the dogs for the most part, but it never ceases to amaze me just how loud a neighborhood can be at night. The buses going by, the dogs barking, the kava-pounding... I miss the peace and quiet of my little neighborhood back in Boone or the stillness of the forest at camp.

5. Pizza - In my experience, it doesn't matter what restaurant you choose here in Suva, finding a decent slice of pizza is not gonna happen! Even Pizza Hut struggles to make par. I think it's the sauce or the meat or the combination of the two, but something's off and it always leaves you disappointed. I miss that greasy American good stuff from back home!

4. Driving - There's something to be said about the independence of having a car and the ability to go wherever you please without soliciting the services of public transportation, however entertaining it may be (see previous entry, haha!). I miss the feeling of being behind the wheel and deciding on a whim when and where I want to go. I miss the freedom of that.

3. Inside Jokes - Whenever I get a wall-post on Facebook or talk on Skype with people who are back in the states, the best parts of our conversations are always the inside jokes we re-laugh about. Because I haven't been friends with people here that long, our inside jokes are few and far between.

2. Camp - Summer is just arriving back home and this will be the first time in six years that I haven't been a camp counselor. I'm definitely going through camp withdrawal. I miss the smell of the fire and the company of camp friends. I miss the kids, and the laughter, and the escape from what Kerouac calls "the world of seriousness."

1. Friends and Family - Even when you are surrounded by picturesque places and fascinating people, there is nothing like passing time with good friends and close family. The coolest thing about traveling is getting to see new things and experience a different life for awhile, but also learning to appreciate the life you have back home and the people who make it what it is.

Despite the occasional homesickness, things are going incredibly well here in Fiji and time is flying by. I cannot believe I'm already done with my first semester here, only exams to go (wish me luck, by the way!). I'm returning to the states for my brother CT's wedding and will be home for a couple of weeks. I plan on visiting a Camp Hantesa, making an appearance at my sponsor Rotary Club, and of course catching up with friends and family while I'm back. I'm super pumped to get to see everyone again and I'll definitely by eating lots of pizza and using tons of sauce at every meal, haha! Hope everyone reading this is doing well. Take care and I'll see some of you soon! Peace and grace. Moce, y'all.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mike.
    I miss beaches..
    so I guess the grass is always greener. Also, I'm not sure if we can be friends anymore...In life, I have 2 dislikes. 1 is mushrooms 2 is condiments (i.e. sauces) of any sort.

    Its been real.

    ReplyDelete